Drunk enRiched Shrimp & Grits
- 4 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup coarse stone-ground white grits
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup Darwin Brewing Co. Llama Mama Milk Stout
- ½ cup sharp cheddar, grated
Bring water, salt, and 1 tablespoon butter to a boil in a 3- to 4-quart heavy saucepan, then add grits gradually, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Reduce heat and cook at a bare simmer, covered, stirring frequently, until water is absorbed and grits are thickened, about 15 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup milk and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally to keep grits from sticking to bottom of pan, 10 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup milk and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed and grits are thick and tender, about 20 minutes more. (Grits will have a soft, mashed-potato-like consistency.) Stir in pepper, cheese, maple syrup, and remaining tablespoon butter or bacon grease.
- 2 slices raw bacon, chopped
- ½ stick butter
- 1 medium Spanish onion, diced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup Darwin Brewing Co. Pirata Pilsner
- ½ lb shrimp, peeled & deveined, tossed in ¼ cup blackened seasoning (can be adjusted to taste)
Cook bacon in large skillet, then add butter to melt. Add onions and cook until translucent. Stir in flour and create a thick paste. Add in beer, bring to boil then stir in shrimp and cook until liquid is reduced by half. Ladle over cheesy grits.
- 1 large heirloom tomato, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 leaves basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Combine all ingredients and serve atop Shrimp & Grits.